Updated: Sunday, October 29
Here in San Antonio, we watched in relief and horror Hurricane Harvey unleash its fury on the Texas coast. Rain amounts in the worst hit areas reaching 50″. San Antonio was spared by just 30 miles.
What now? What can we do?
Here at Woodland, we are planning at least two trips to do what we can to help. We are waiting for the word that our help is needed.
Until then, here is a list of ways to help:
- Go. We took a Clean Up Team from Woodland on September 30 to Rockport. See this page for details. We are planning more trips. We need help. If you are an architect, an engineer, a contractor or know one, please talk with Lance. We have reached a point where we need professional help (and for free). This family does not have the money to fix their house. We’ve put in a few thousand dollars already.
- For The Cardenas Family. This is the family we are helping in Rockport.
- For Diann Berry (CBF Field Personnel assisting with rural communities)
- For Butch & Nell Green (CBF Field Personnel assisting with Houston)
- For families who have lost everything.
- For God’s peace in a time of devastation for victims, first responders and government leaders in cities, and towns, large and small
- For church communities that face challenges to repair or rebuild their houses of worship
- For churches who are asking “how can we help” and are preparing to send volunteer teams to assist storm victims
- For partnership to flourish as people help people and churches help churches to build not just physical structures but the Kingdom of God
- Donate Blood. Call South Texas Blood & Tissue Center at 210-731-5590 or click here to schedule an appointment online. (You might find it easier to “Schedule an Appointment at a Donor Room” near the bottom of the page.) Be prepared ahead of time by printing and filling out this form. Find out more about the donation process here.
- Volunteer with Red Cross. Find the Volunteer Application (both adult and youth) here. They need help with local shelters. They have other needs as well. FYI, The San Antonio Youth Choral (SAYC) will be doing a mini concert at a local shelter on Saturday, September 2 after their rehearsal.
- Donate money. You can give through CBF here.
We will continue to update this page as we find out more ways to help.