Find out more about what is going on at the border:
- Click this link to watch a video with Elket Rodríguez and Cameron Vickrey talking about the immigration policy changes that are leading to the increased numbers of people coming through the Brownsville port of entry and why your help is needed.
- Read this article on “What Happens After Title 42” by Elket Rodríguez.
- Read this blog post by John Whisler about his experience at the border.
They need volunteers throughout the summer but are really trying to fill up slots to serve in May. Take a look at this SignUpGenius to see what is available.
- Prepare food and supplies at Iglesia Bautista West Brownsville (925 W St Charles St, Brownsville, TX 78520), and/or
- Greet migrants at the bus station Welcome Center (755 International Blvd, Brownsville, TX 78520) and pass out food, bibles, and other supplies.
You do not have to be bilingual, although Spanish would be helpful. The migrants are of many nationalities, not just Spanish-speaking.
You are welcome to bring your supplies to donate. The most significant needs are
- baseball caps
- flip flops
- gift cards to Sam’s Club, Walmart, and Little Caesar’s Pizza.